INNOVATION IN HOUSING
Modular housing is one potential YIGBY model that we have been exploring. Through our extensive research we have found that modular housing construction is quicker to build and install compared to the traditional construction process. Also, the State of California can approve the units at the manufacturing plant which adds additional time savings.
Innovative Housing Tour Video
February 8, 2019 — 7:21 mins
- The average cost to build a habitable unit in California is an average of $465,000 (135% of national average)
- The current affordable housing deficit in San Diego County is over 171,000 units according to SANDAG
- California produces 25-40% of landfill materials from traditional construction waste alone
- A modular housing unit can be built in a factory in less than 10 days
- There are social venture investor groups interested in providing more affordable housing options throughout San Diego County with little to no debt incurred by a faith organization
- Traditional infill projects often bring litigation due to California Environmental Quality Act impacts
- Modular buildings are virtually disaster proof and on the cutting edge of innovation
- There are over 4 million shipping containers that sit available in US ports unused each year
- There are over 300 social services programs in San Diego County serving low income populations in need of affordable housing.
We work with our Faith Community Partner leadership to help facilitate the financing and development of their property.
Designs provided by CRATE Modular, Inc.